The District Education Authority (DEA) is a locally-elected body made up of community members who are interested in education. The DEA works with school staff and Regional School Operations (RSO) staff. Together, these bodies serve many of the functions of a school board, and are responsible for administration of schools in Nunavut.
The DEA is responsible for making important decisions concerning the delivery of education. Examples include:
• establishing the school calendar;
• developing a registration and attendance policy;
• developing an Inuuqatigiisiarniq Policy (positive environment)
• issuing suspensions and expulsions;
• working with RSO to hire staff (including teachers & principals)
• providing an early childhood program that promotes Inuit culture
The various positions that make up the DEA are:
• seven members typically elected for a three-year term;
• DEA terms are staggered to minimize the effects of member turnover;
• each DEA includes one chairperson and one vice-chairperson;
• DEAs must meet at least once a month.
Chair: Papak Theresa Adamache
Members: Mavis Adjun, Danny Zita, Lisa Leclerc
Please join us as we work to improve education and create Inummariit